Sunday, March 21, 2010

My Interview on Future Husbands and Wives of Saudis

It is with great pleasure that I direct you to my just published interview on my friend Tara Umm Omar's blog which is called Future Husbands and Wives of Saudis.

Future Husbands and Wives of Saudis (FHWS) provides invaluable information for anyone involved romantically with someone from Saudi Arabia. It is objective and not opinionated. This blog contains extremely useful reference articles about the marriage process, divorce, citizenship, immigration, religion, and advice that is particular to Saudis, performing an invaluable service for those needing to make informed decisions about their futures.

Tara Umm Omar herself is an American married to a Saudi, so she knows full well the ins and outs of a mixed Saudi marriage. She resides in Riyadh with her Saudi husband and their son.

So please just click on over and read my interview on Future Husbands and Wives of Saudis. And don't be shy about leaving a comment!


  1. Nice interview Susie. I can't read about it enough. Your honesyt is what's important.I think women need to think for themselves and make the connections.

    BTW, I couldn't comment on Umm Omar's blog because I can't comment in embedded comment sections.

  2. Uhhm, the post was from Salma Susie just in case you didn't know.

  3. Gorgeous picture of you ... it looks like a painting!

  4. The interview was honest and riveting. I left a detailed comment on that site.

    Best of luck to you, Susie!

  5. I have to second how beautiful that photo is of you. The colours of your hijab, eyes, and skin tones are all enhanced by the dual toned golden back drop. I hope you use it for your mug shot on your L sidebar!

  6. susie,

    Your interview was very informative! i just have one question. You mentioned it gets very hot in Jeddah, especially since you wear a black abayah (outer garment) with hijab. Since you are not muslim, is it still required for you to dress islamic? Would your husband and his family be as accepting of you if you didnt wear hijab/abayah since you are not muslim? I find it sad that the saudi government puts such restrictions on a womans dress code (only allowed to wear black when out). They follow culture not islam. When it is humid out, men wear white, which women should be allowed to wear as well (so long as its not see through).
    Ive learned a lot about saudi culture from your blog, so thank you! As a muslim, I feel its important for both muslims and non muslims to understand that saudi does not represent what islam really is, its a mixture of culture and religion.

  7. You really look beautiful here in your blue hijab.

  8. Susie-'re one of a kind! I agree with Angel and Chiara, even one of my friends said you look beautiful in the hijab.

  9. Susie!!! Wonderful interview my friend! I have to agree witht the rest, you look absolutely beautiful in that hijab.

  10. Hi ImpStepWife/Salma - Thanks so much - I knew it was you.

    Hi Angel - Gee thanks!

    Hi Gigi - Thanks for your comment on Tara's blog - appreciate what you said.

    Hi Chiara - Aw shucks! I guess I should replace that mugshot pic!!!

  11. Hi Rene - There are a few places where women aren't necessarily seen out in the abaya, but it doesn't matter whether one is Muslim or not. I've heard that women in the Eastern Province and maybe some very rural places do not wear the abaya every day. But in Riyadh and here in Jeddah, all women wear them. My hubby keeps telling me to have a white abaya made, and I'm just about convinced to, but the problem is that ALL women here wear black and I don't want to draw any more unwanted attention on myself than I already do with my rosy cheeks!

    Hi Nik - Thanks so much - it was a spur of the moment thing throwing that combination together...

    Hi Tara - Gee thanks. And thanks again for approaching me about the interview. I enjoyed doing it.

    Hi Yoli - You're so sweet - thank you.

  12. Wow! The L side bar is radiant now! :)

  13. Susie, that was a great interview! You are expressing your life in Saudi they way I felt when only there for a month and when I thought about what it would be like to live there permanently the concerns I had were what you are living and in more ways than one. I felt trapped a couple of times during the month so I can really identify and feel some of your angst. I decided that in spite of the spacious house, inexpensive goods, other creature comforts my mind, body and spirit would suffer. I am also not a spring chicken so maybe that has something to do with it. :-)
    I agree with the others - your picture is lovely!

  14. Hi Susie,

    I read the interview and felt how great it would be if we could hear from your husband. I read many blogs about marrying a Saudi man but I've never got the chance to hear those men defend themselves and explain their actions.

    What do u think ? will your husband be up to it :) ?

  15. Anonymous--While we both hope for a post by Adnan you may be interested in a post I did on the phenomenon you are describing and the comments made:

    The Saudi Husband of the Western Wife in Saudi--A Great Silence

  16. Interesting interview over there. I liked your response to the laundry question. I operate under similar orders here--stay away from the laundry.

  17. Very insightful interview Susie. I truly enjoyed it. I have a feeling that you 'tipping point' is about to set in. Hope that your husband's illness will not add more of the 'societal' burdens in addition to your worries about his health.

    Your son may well end up leaving, if that is his picture in shredded jeans, then that spells volumes of his inner thoughts.

    While I am married to a Yemeni, and our world has been the US for the most of our marriage now going on 27 years, I can understand your thoughts on marrying outside you "cultural" sphere. Which is not actually my experience, since I am of a very mixed background - the mutt- if you will. But I feel your worries are more because of what Saudi Arabia is like for you, than anything else. It puts additional strains on you. In Yemen, while things are no where near as 'affluent' as Saudi, and women do tend to wear the black abaya, they are not as restricted in movement, because they can drive and hold a legal license, vote, and participate however restricted it is compared to the US for example - it is still more than KSA.

    Would I live in Yemen? Yes, because by the time I go, my life will have been well spent here in the US, and all I would want to do is putter around. But that is not what most women coming from other backgrounds may want to do.

    Your posts and comments here and elsewhere are, in my opinion, true to your circumstance. Yes, many will not agree - but many do. Keep your spirits up Susie. The days ahead promise to be even more insightful for you in your Arabian Adventure.

  18. susie,
    great blog!
    Sounds like it is time for you to move home. Your son is not a child anymore. You can safely go home. I don't mean divorce. Just a long distance relationship. Your not very old. You have much life in you. Do what is best for Susie and your son and daughter.
    At our age (we are about the same age), we can live happily without the husband for a time! Sounds like you need to find yourself again.