Sunday, September 21, 2014

Progress Makes Me Happy!



There have been many times living in Saudi Arabia over the past seven years when I have gotten the impression that having fun is forbidden or at least frowned upon, that being happy is not something that people here  aspire to.  While I still get that feeling at times, the past couple of years I have seen a change gently sweeping over the general population of Saudi Arabia. 

A few years ago I couldn't have imagined the excitement I feel now when I see women actually working in the malls and other businesses.  People now seem much more relaxed, much more open.  More Saudi women seem to be dropping their face veils and wearing colorful abayas instead of just drab black.  I see smiles much more frequently than I used to.  Lots of people are into taking selfies - a huge change from the look of paranoia I saw on people's faces when they spied me with my camera in years past.  Even though to outsiders these strides may seem really small, to me I am seeing real social progress.

And it makes me happy!

When I first viewed this video I thought to myself that there is no way this could have happened on a flight in Saudi Arabia just a few years ago.  So in honor of Saudi National Day on September 23rd, enjoy this Saudi version of a flash mob on FlyNas Airlines.  Saudis can be fun-loving people too!





10 comments:

  1. I like your post today :-)
    I wish you a happy National Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eva. Same to you. I'm glad you liked this post!

      Delete
  2. Saudi has changed so much, and mostly for the better. I'd like to thank you Susie and other bloggers out there for talking about Saudi as it is today, to break down some of the misconceptions out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex - Thanks so much for your comment. Saudi Arabia gets a bad rap too much of the time. Yes, there are problems here, but I try to focus more on the positive. Thanks again.

      Delete
  3. One small step at a time! That was a fun video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy - Glad to hear that you liked the video. It's a side of Saudi Arabia that people don't usually get to see.

      Delete
  4. I find them to have sociopathic traits in my opinion. and if not a true sociopath then living around them is heavy and toxic. and most kids carry the traits and pass it on. when you cant have fun, there is something wrong. when you cant talk to someone rationally something is wrong..to much anger in men in my experience. of course not all are tempermental but enough to make the country dull.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a sweet video. Please tell us what the flags say. Even though it seems the video was approved by the royal family, it makes me smile to see and feel some of the spontaneity of this flash mob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Assalam Alaykum, dear sister in Islam!

    I wish you a great National Day full of happiness.
    Take a look at my blog pics of the small but happy Muslim community from Rio de Janeiro.
    Best regards,
    Denise Bomfim.

    ReplyDelete