Friday, January 24, 2014

Jeddah Art Week February 1-6, 2014

2014 Jeddah Art Week promotion - photo by: Susie of Arabia
 Jeddah Art Week begins in just a few days, and the above photo is one that I took that is being used for all the promotions and announcements of the Art Week events.  The splash of yellow paint was manipulated into the photo by an artist.  I first published this photo without the coloring manipulation on this blog in June 2013.  I was thrilled to be contacted by an outfit in London asking for permission to use some of my photos for promoting Jeddah Art Week.

Untitled - by Sylvestre Monnier
The opening ceremony for Jeddah Art Week will be held at the new open air sculpture museum at the Middle Corniche Park near Al-Anani Mosque.  This park is the new home of many of the priceless sculptures that Jeddah is famous for. 

Balance in the Air - by Victor Vasarely
Yesterday morning my husband drove me down to the new sculpture park and I took over 400 photos of the area, some of which you see here.

The Eye - by Cesar Baldaccini
Thanks to the dedication and efforts of the Jeddah Restoration Project and the Abdul Latif Jameel Community Initiatives organization, many of Jeddah's amazing public works of art have been refurbished and repaired and have now been relocated to this lovely park setting along the Corniche.

Three Piece Reclining Figure No. 1 - by Henry Moore
Enormous bronze pieces by world renowned artist like Henry Moore, Joan Miro, and Cesar Baldaccini now grace the seaside sculpture park.

Personage II - by Joan Miro
If you are in Jeddah, I hope you will try to attend the opening ceremony on Saturday, February 1st near Al- Anani Mosque. 

Al-Anani Mosque along Jeddah's Corniche

Below is the calendar of events for Jeddah Art Week.  The public is welcome at any of the events.  Hope to see you there!  Click here for a map guide to the events. 





11 comments:

  1. Wow, what a commitment to public art. I will probably never make it to Jeddah and it is my loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yogi - I realize you will probably never make it to Jeddah - so that's why I am posting all these fantastic works of art for you here!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jerry - I got to attend a few of the events last year and am looking forward to this year's events. There is a strong art community here.

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is wonderful, Susie. I love seeing the photo of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay - I'm very proud that they chose my photo for the ads for the events. Thrilled, actually!

      Delete
  4. Was looking for something to do while here on a short visit, this looks like it'll be so much fun! And doable! Thank you for promoting this, and posting the event calendar! Congratulations on your picture being selected! It's a big deal! Hurrah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi HM - Thank you. Hopefully we'll run into each other at one of the events!

      Delete
  5. Looks interesting Susie. Hope you're doing well.
    xo
    Salma

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful way to acknowledge the arts

    ReplyDelete